Red Letter Media — but not their most beloved movie critic/serial killer Mr. Plinkett — has taken a look at Ridley’s Scott’s Prometheus, and, like me, came away with more than a few questions. Unsurprisingly, they do a better job with it than I did. I will say this, though — some of these questions (and some of the ones I asked myself), maybe 10% of them, are mysteries that I didn’t necessarily need solved to enjoy the movie, and whose ambiguity could have added a great deal to the movie. Unfortunately, they’re surrounded by the other 90% of the questions, which can all pretty much be boiled down to “Why is this character acting in such a stupid way?” Say what you want about Prometheus, but please don’t defend it by saying “Hey, sometimes people act in stupid ways.” That’s true, but I don’t want to watch movies about them, and I especially don’t want to watch science fiction starring them, and I can’t believe they’re an elite team of the world’s best scientists when it seems more likely than Weyland just grabbed a handful of people from the local psychiatric institution and put them in all lab coats.
Robert Bricken is one of the original co-founders of the site formerly known as Topless Robot, and its first editor-in-chief, serving from 2008-12. He brought the site to prominence with “nerd news, humor and self-loathing” as its motto, raising it from total internet obscurity to a readership in the millions, with help from his savage “FAQ” movie reviews and Fan Fiction Fridays. Under his tenure Topless Robot was covered by Gawker, Wired, Defamer, New York magazine, ABC News, and others, and his articles have been praised by Roger Ebert, Avengers actor Clark Gregg, comedian and The Daily Show correspondent John Hodgman, the stars of Mystery Science Theater 3000 and Rifftrax, and others. He is currently the managing editor of io9.com. Despite decades as both an amateur and professional nerd, he continues to be completely unprepared for either the zombie apocalypse or the robot uprising.